amandalina

amandalina

Night Road - Kristin Hannah Wow. I’m not sure what I expected of this book. I’m not even entirely sure how I feel about it. This was my first book by this author—which is surprising considering how many novels she’s written—so I can’t compare it to her other work. But I can say that I haven’t had a reaction like this since reading My Sister’s Keeper. I haven’t reviewed that book, but anyone who has read it will probably have an idea what I mean by that.
I keep sitting down and attempting to review this book, and finding myself unable to put together my thoughts in a tactful way. Because of that, it’s been a while since I finished this book, so my thoughts may be all over the place.
Basically, what stands out for me is that I think this is a book that will have the ability to affect people in completely different ways, depending on where they are in life, and what experiences they have been through. By that I mean, I think mothers will most likely relate and sympathize with Jude and younger people quite possibly will relate more to Lexi. Myself: I have actually experienced the kind of tragedy that occurs in this book and seen the devastation it causes. And while I did sympathize with Jude and tried not to judge her too harshly, I still identified more with Lexi and what she went through and really felt for her. I totally understood how a girl like her could become so infatuated with Zach and Mia. I also couldn’t help but feel that what happened was in some way a result of over-indulging children. I’m not saying they were bad kids, but because they always got whatever they wanted, they just couldn’t comprehend not getting their way and the consequences their actions could have. So for me, it was easy to see how Zach and Mia could steamroll Mia in the moment, and it was sad to read where her life leads, all because she thought she was doing the right thing.
Overall, I think this will be a bit of a divisive book. Some will feel frustrated by the characters and their actions; others will find the sadness of the plot emotional and compelling.