amandalina

amandalina

The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse #1)

The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse #1) - J.A. Templeton I stumbled upon the Labor Day Indie Book Blowout and this was the first book to catch my eye, admittedly because I think the cover is beautiful. I was instantly hooked by the Kindle sample and quickly purchased it. Can I just say this book is a total steal at $0.99?!
As for the story--I really enjoyed it. A fairly quick read that was creative and interesting and I guess you could say delightfully creepy. I really like Riley, and even liked her foul-mouthed little brother :P This leads me to something else I liked about this book: the teenagers seemed like real teenagers. I realize I'm about to sound like a hypocrite because I personally don't think teenagers should be using drugs and alcohol, but I still liked the fact that these kids were swearing and drinking at parties and contemplating sex. It made them more well-rounded and believable.
Often times I find myself rolling my eyes at some of the dialogue and things that happen in YA books. That didn't really happen with this book. And while I'm comparing it to other YA books, my only complaint would be that while I find some books are unnecessarily long and tedious, I felt this book could have actually benefited from the extra length. I think if it were a little more fleshed out, the creepy parts would have been even more creepy, and the romance would have been even more sweeter and believable.

I highly recommend YA fiction readers give this one a try. For the price you can't go wrong. I have to say, I am much more impressed by this indie book than I have been by a lot of the mediocre YA books I have read in the past. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series.